:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Author: nisp1953
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 3:23 AM Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As it popped up repeatedly in the KDE thread: Quite some of you use
> something different as KDE's Plasma. For various, I am sure, good reasons.
>
> I am curious: What do you use… and why? What are your practical
> experiences with what you use? Are there any challenges?

I really Like Kde but the two distros that support it best, KDE Neon
and Kubuntu,
have too many updates.The other thing was that Kubuntu and KDE Neon
both use systemd. Systemd interfered with my scanning and printing.
Since switching to Devuan, I don't have those problems. I own a fabric
store and it's
vital that my computers (two of them) work. I need scanning (Xsane) to scan
and store cash register tapes.

On Devuan, I use Xfce and Thunar as my file manager. Alternatively I use
EMACS in dired mode.

Here are some of the apps I use:
* I show customers sewing videos on VLC.
* I use GraphicsMagick to edit and annotate photographs..
* I use LibreOffice a lot. Especially for printing shipping labels and
envelopes.
* My financial transactions are maintained in Gnucash.
* For routine calculations I use dc.
* I use pdftotext and then grep to find specific items in invoices.
The invoices are
usually pdf but sometimes html, which I convert to pdf using LibreOffice.
* I use Xsane for scanning receipts.
* I use tar for making backups.

--
Kind regards,