:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 11:23:07AM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As it popped up repeatedly in the KDE thread: Quite some of you use
> something different as KDE's Plasma. For various, I am sure, good reasons.
>
> I am curious: What do you use… and why? What are your practical
> experiences with what you use? Are there any challenges?
>
> While I have been using KDE based desktops since about two decades for
> good reasons, nothing is set in stone. But even in the likely case I keep
> using Plasma, I may be learning something interesting. Maybe I learn about
> some new application that is really good, or a feature that helps you be
> productive and that I may be able to replicate within Plasma.
>
> And even beyond that: I am just curious.
>
> Are you more of a terminal user? More of a GUI user? Do you use both? Are
> you using a desktop environment or do you put together your desktop with a
> window manager and various little applications, bits and pieces from
> different sources?
>
> How do you get your work tasks and leisure time handled on your computers?
>
> I would love this to become more of an open exchange of experiences and
> choices than a bashing at what each other uses. So I intent to ask
> clarifying questions instead of telling you my desktop is better than
> yours all the time :). While it may be for me, I am not the one to make
> the decision for you. And I had my fair share of advocating for KDE based
> software already :). I may relate to how I do something on Plasma when I
> ask how you do it. Just to compare for myself.
>
> Being different means we can learn from each other.

I'm afraid I haven't bought into a specific label for my software
collection, but looking it pstree output, my story seems to be the
following.

The graphical stack begins wih an xdm for login, which runs
a ck-launch-session, which then runs an ssh-agent and an lxqt-session
for a number of processes; maybe that means I run lxqt? There is:
  * blueman-applet
  * blueman-tray
  * a custom shell script (desktopmenu.sh) that maps right-click to
    running jgmenu
  * firefox-esr with sub processes
  * gpg-agent
  * lxqt-globalkeys (doesn't have a man page, so I'm not sure what it does)
  * lxqt-notification (likewise)
  * lxqt-runner (handles alt-f2 for running a program [useless thingy])
  * xfce4-panel (which I prefer ofer lxqt-panel as it has a "run
    button program" [aka launcher] embedding multiple sub options)
  * xfwm4 (window manager)

Via xfce-panel I've started a number of sub processes, such as
qasmixer, a qterminal (for irssi and mutt), wpa_gui and xfce4-terminal
with a handlful of sub processes for separate windows, each with a
handful of tabs; it's in those that I "do things" apart from web
browsing.

The different terminal tabs are typically different ssh connections to
various other hosts. And I have a swisswatch display in the bottom
right corner telling daytime in a graphical way.

Ralph.