:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: ashigaru53
To: dng_at_lists.dyne.org_ashigaru53@duck.com
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question

Good morning Martin,
Thanks for questioning my assumptions. It shows I only had a surface knowledge.
See answers below the questions.
I certainly goofed in a couple spots. Always learning something new. Apparently just a newbie after all these years.
Best,
Charles

On Monday, July 15th, 2024 at 12:13 AM, Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> Hi Charles.
>
> ashigaru53--- via Dng - 14.07.24, 21:17:13 CEST:
>
> > Martin, Steve,
> > Sorry for bringing up the initial question.
>

> No need to be sorry about that.
>
> > TL;DR
> > So you both got me to pondering KDE/Plasma Desktop loads etc, etc, etc.
> > I remembered I had an old lenovo thinkcentre M-93 that I had installed
> > MX linux on for the wife sometime back. (she likes her laptop instead)
> >
> > I also installed plasma desktop 5.2xxx at the time. So I pulled it out
> > for some experiments. Updated and off to test. Here are some specs.
> > Attached is the whole machine specs as a file for reference.
>

> So it is still running MX Linux?

Yes. Using it now.

> > ** At idle no apps running cpu = 2-3%
>

> Well that is what I have written. An idle Plasma desktop is idle unless
> either Akonadi is doing something or Baloo is indexing files.
>
> Thanks for confirmation.
>
> > Add firefox no browsing cpu = 6-8%
> > Add 2 different open webpages = 11-13%
> > Add Libreoffice writer and start word processing cpu = 2%
> > Open second firefox browser and stream 1 youtube video cpu = 28-32%
> > Stream 2 youtube videos at same time cpu = 30-45%
> > Add Thunderbird cpu = 13-27%
> > Idling with apps open cpu = 2-5%
> >
> > This is respective of my personal useage.
> > So several things I noticed with this build, although a lot of K-apps
> > are installed:
> >
> > - Akonadi is not installed
>

> Really?

My bad. I only did 'akonadi --version'
charles@mx-m93:~
$ akonadi --version
akonadi: command not found
charles@mx-m93:~
$ akonadictl --version
akonadictl 5.22.3 (22.12.3)

> > - Nepomuk not installed
>

> As written before Nepomuk is long gone. There is no Nepomuk in Plasma or
> KDE Gear 5.

*******************************
Yes, just wanted to look anyway.
*******************************

> > - Baloo is not installed
>

> Interesting.

I should have been more accurate. I only did a 'baloo --version' initially ad 'assumed' it was not installed.
charles@mx-m93:~
$ baloo --version
baloo: command not found
charles@mx-m93:~
$ balooctl --version
baloo 5.103.0
charles@mx-m93:~
$ balooctl status
Baloo is currently disabled. To enable, please run balooctl enable

> > - Kmail works without Akonadi or pulling Akonadi in. I started it but
> > didn't set it up as I normally just use thunderbird - cpu useage isn't
> > necessarily additive as more apps are opened.
>

> I cannot really believe that. KMail starting from KDE SC 4 needs
> Akonadi.

Another 'ass-sumption' just a guess about Akonadi and Kmail after the result of 'akonadi --version' returning nothing.

> So when they have KMail running without it… what version of KMail would
> that be?

***************************************
$ kmail --version
kmail2 5.22.3 (22.12.3)

One very old one from KDE 3 oder the KDE 3 based one from the
> Trinity project? Is Akonadi really not running?
>
> What does "akonadictl status" say?

Good call. I only did akonadi --version and 'assumed' it was not installed. My bad.
charles@mx-m93:~
$ akonadi --version
akonadi: command not found
charles@mx-m93:~
$ akonadictl --version
akonadictl 5.22.3 (22.12.3)

Apparently, Akonadi is running. My bad again but does not seem to affect the system. CPU at 3% right now.

$ akonadictl status
Akonadi Control: running
Akonadi Server: running
Akonadi Server Search Support: available (Remote Search)
Available Agent Types: akonadi_akonotes_resource, akonadi_archivemail_agent, akonadi_birthdays_resource, akonadi_contacts_resource, akonadi_davgroupware_resource, akonadi_ews_resource, akonadi_ewsmta_resource, akonadi_followupreminder_agent, akonadi_google_resource, akonadi_ical_resource, akonadi_icaldir_resource, akonadi_imap_resource, akonadi_indexing_agent, akonadi_kolab_resource, akonadi_maildir_resource, akonadi_maildispatcher_agent, akonadi_mailfilter_agent, akonadi_mailmerge_agent, akonadi_mbox_resource, akonadi_migration_agent, akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource, akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent, akonadi_notes_agent, akonadi_notes_resource, akonadi_openxchange_resource, akonadi_pop3_resource, akonadi_sendlater_agent, akonadi_tomboynotes_resource, akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent, akonadi_vcard_resource, akonadi_vcarddir_resource

> > So maybe they have changed a few things since I used it last? I don't
> > know how it is all incorporated but it is similar to Void and Devuan
> > only in the fact that systemd is not default init. So a possible low
> > resource hungry desktop for those who like KDE?

Another guess
charles@mx-m93:~
$ systemctl status
System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down