:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
Le 15/07/2024 à 11:23, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> As it popped up repeatedly in the KDE thread: Quite some of you use
> something different as KDE's Plasma. For various, I am sure, good reasons.
>
> I am curious: What do you use… and why? What are your practical
> experiences with what you use? Are there any challenges?

    I use Xfce4/xfwm4, the default Devuan. I bet Lxde is lighter but I
don't like its appearance -- I agree it's a futile reason.

    I'm against desktop integration, hence, from Xfce, I only use the
file manager and Xfce4-Terminal e basta cosi!

    File-management: Xfce, Emacs with some customization, and the bare
command-line, which is often the most convenient. I also have Thunar and
Roxfiler installed but never use them.

    Mount/umount removable usb-keys: my own application. I don't want
the tool provided by Xfce because it has too many dependencies; this is
the only reasion why I wrote Hopman.

    Browsers: Palemoon and Firefox.

    Mail: Thunderbird because I need a structured address-book.

    Ordinary web server: Nginx because I found, years ago, it was much
easier to configure than Apache.

    I'm writing my own specialized web server, featuring massive upload
and zero config. I need it since I have bought a "smart" phone which has
a camera.

    It's all very personal and I guess we are all like this at Devuan.
We all have different tastes, respect each other, and like to have choice.

-- Didier