:: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you us…
Author: Antoine
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] So what desktop do you use?
On Monday, 15 July at 11:23, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>Hi!
>
>As it popped up repeatedly in the KDE thread: Quite some of you use
>something different as KDE's Plasma. For various, I am sure, good reasons.
>
>I am curious: What do you use… and why? What are your practical
>experiences with what you use? Are there any challenges?
>
>While I have been using KDE based desktops since about two decades for
>good reasons, nothing is set in stone. But even in the likely case I keep
>using Plasma, I may be learning something interesting. Maybe I learn about
>some new application that is really good, or a feature that helps you be
>productive and that I may be able to replicate within Plasma.
>
>And even beyond that: I am just curious.
>
>Are you more of a terminal user? More of a GUI user? Do you use both? Are
>you using a desktop environment or do you put together your desktop with a
>window manager and various little applications, bits and pieces from
>different sources?
>
>How do you get your work tasks and leisure time handled on your computers?
>
>I would love this to become more of an open exchange of experiences and
>choices than a bashing at what each other uses. So I intent to ask
>clarifying questions instead of telling you my desktop is better than
>yours all the time :). While it may be for me, I am not the one to make
>the decision for you. And I had my fair share of advocating for KDE based
>software already :). I may relate to how I do something on Plasma when I
>ask how you do it. Just to compare for myself.
>
>Being different means we can learn from each other.
>
>Best,
>--
>Martin

I use fluxbox as my WM, because it strikes the right balance between
tweakable and usable for me. I launch it by hand (xinit) when needed. I
use console programs where I can (mutt, newsboat, ikhal &c.). I also
have gkrellm (helps me keep track of what's going on at a glance) and
sxhkd for custom hotkeys and buttons my system doesn't recognise
otherwise (such as volume buttons). Almost forgot: I set the wallpaper
with feh.

One of the things I really like about fluxbox is the "menu" file: open
$EDITOR, load ".fluxbox/menu" make the changes you want, save, close
$EDITOR. That's all you need: the changes are already there on the next
right-click - no reloading necessary.

All the best,
    Antoine

--
There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.