:: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 11:12:11 +0100, KatolaZ wrote in message
<20181203101211.r7bp2l4nnid7bcyq@???>:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 09:49:06AM +0000, g4sra wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > Has anyone here have actual practical experience of using LFS to
> > build anything moderate (or larger). If so, how much work did it
> > take and was the effort worth it in the long run, were there any
> > shortcomings ?
>
> I have used LFS several times in the last 20 years. In most of the
> cases, just to cross-compile for another machine for which any other
> distro would have been just too much. LFS is a great way of learning
> how a Linux system works under the hood. Once you learn stuff from
> LFS, you can customise almost anything in almost any distro for almost
> any personal use case.
>
> However, I think LFS it's not a particularly good solution for
> everyday use, but this depends a lot on what is your definition of
> "everyday use". You'd probably better suited with something like
> gentoo or Slackware, maybe (but they are both using initramfs in their
> default installs, AFAIK :P). Or learn from LFS and continue using
> Devuan with your personal tweaks :)

..but maybe we can use LFS to shanghai people into Devuan by hijacking
their LiveCD?: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/ "needs" a fix,
LFS moved on without it: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/news.html even
mentions a systemd version of the book, "LFS-systemd"...

Scenarios always come in sets of three: