:: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Author: g4sra
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch

> I've not used LFS. I've talked to many people who have.

Thank you for the reply, but you do not quite fit the demographic I was
looking for.
> If your experience with it and its
> associated book is like that of pretty much everyone I've discussed it
> with, once you are done with that learning experience, you will in no
> way want to build significant systems on it, and will have a renewed
> appreciation for distributions where you aren't building everything from
> scratch.

The relaying of others opinion is useful, however I would prefer to hear
it from the horses mouth.

As for WWW sources I don't have the time to vet the credentials of every
individual who has written (bull$hitted) about some topic or other.
I wouldn't trust a technical journalist to be able to get the definition
of the terms 'hack' or 'dongle' correct, let alone get their head around
a distro like LFS.

> Credible reviews:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/85865/
> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/1715
> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/2482
> http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/2521

Not a website I am familiar with.

I will accept your statement of "Credible reviews" and follow up, thank you.

> And, um, those weren't difficult to find.

Not difficult if you already know where to look. Not enough needles and
too large a haystack.

I did not come to Linux as a 'FOSS developer', 'hobbyist' or a 'Windows
debunker' but from an professional enterprise position with Business
Enterprise Sources such as IBM, Oracle etc with such companies as the
source of reference (no good for LFS, and not agenda free). I 'know
different' from others, which is why I am asking 'others' here (such as
yourself) for their opinion, because it has value to me.

>I think you'll be better off
> if you do some basic research rather than expect the Internet to do your
> thinking for you.

I do the thinking, the internet provides the data source to research :)