:: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 09:49:06AM +0000, g4sra wrote:

[cut]

> Has anyone here have actual practical experience of using LFS to build
> anything moderate (or larger). If so, how much work did it take and was
> the effort worth it in the long run, were there any shortcomings ?

I have used LFS several times in the last 20 years. In most of the
cases, just to cross-compile for another machine for which any other
distro would have been just too much. LFS is a great way of learning
how a Linux system works under the hood. Once you learn stuff from
LFS, you can customise almost anything in almost any distro for almost
any personal use case.

However, I think LFS it's not a particularly good solution for
everyday use, but this depends a lot on what is your definition of
"everyday use". You'd probably better suited with something like
gentoo or Slackware, maybe (but they are both using initramfs in their
default installs, AFAIK :P). Or learn from LFS and continue using
Devuan with your personal tweaks :)

My2Cents

KatolaZ