:: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi f…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi fried SD CARD.
On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 06:24:15AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> Some people suggested using a USB thumb drive for temp and often
> written files. This is a great idea because you can buy a 64GB thumb
> drive for about $20.00 to $30.00 USD, and just throw it away when it
> breaks. Keep the music on the SSD for speed and reliability, but if the
> music player software happens to write to /tmp, that's on the thumb
> drive that gets replaced every couple years.

My calculations show that USB thumb drives are now very poor value.
The cost/bit for USB drives is now higher than for commodity SSD
sata drives, but with far lower performance and endurance.
Given that a USB-to-sata converter cable can be had for less than £5,
just use a a SSD instead. Of course, you really want USB 3 at least,
but even on USB 2, it probably still makes some sense.

ael