:: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Author: g4sra
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
No I am not trying to start a Distro flame war, I am seeking facts not
opinions.

As someone has already pointed out on this mailing list Linux Distros in
general are taking away the freedom to customise (in particular for a
specific User case). I get that maintenance is an issue, but only
because software growth has become disproportionate. if there wasn't so
mush software <<Freudian slip *much* software, it wouldn't require
software to manage it all and there would be even less software, just
look at the number of different software build systems there are.

The all important mantra has been forgotten and lost:

Do one thing! do it well!

I have already hit issues in Devuan that have been inherited from
Debian. The initramfs\initrd should (and used to) do one thing and do it
well. It is now so convolutely complex you can do away with the root
filesystem altogether.

I understand that there are not enough Devuan developers to fix
everything. I was pondering whether LFS will suit the corner cases which
even Devuan cannot reach.

I have no experience of LFS, nor do I personally know anyone who does.
There is no point in asking for opinions on a LFS forum, they will be
biased.

It is evident that people on this forum at least try to use their brains
so thought this may be as good a place as any for some data mining ;)
Has anyone here have actual practical experience of using LFS to build
anything moderate (or larger). If so, how much work did it take and was
the effort worth it in the long run, were there any shortcomings ?