:: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi f…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan for Raspberry Pi fried SD CARD.
On 03/12/18 at 10:05, Adam Borowski wrote:
> realtime greatly reduces atime writes, but it's still too much.

  I wouldn't say so.  Since relatime updates atime only relative to the
present ctime and mtime, it's only changed when one of those two is
changed.  That is, updating atime does not require a separate write
operation.  For this reason:

> Case in
> point: it's the likely culprit for wasting the SD card that started this
> thread (on a mostly-read load).

if that filesystem was mounted with the relatime option (or with no
option at all, since relatime is the default), then it's very unlikely
it caused any more writes that if it was fully disabled.

> And, update frequency of 1/day happens to
> match the typical backup schedule, making it ruin snapshots just the same
> as strictatime would.

  Uh?  How can atime "ruin snapshots"?

> So it's time to kill the nasty thing.

  If only it was any nasty.