:: Re: [DNG] Soundsystem mostly disapp…
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Soundsystem mostly disappears in KDE Plasma on upgrade to Daedalus
On Fri, 09 Aug 2024, onefang wrote:

>I can't help with Pulse or Pipe stuff (I don't use them), but I might be
>able to shed some light below.
>
>On 2024-08-08 12:10:53, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
>> PS: The Laptop has Intel HD Audio and some nvidia hardware, it's a ThinkPad
>> from around 2012 with dual graphics (discrete and integrated). I am not sure
>> why the nvidia hardware is relevant for audio, but I can see it in amixer,
>> maybe for HDMI output or so. The problem can be found searching the net, but
>> there are no general solutions that worked for me.
>
>HDMI output does include audio. Some computer monitors have speakers or
>headphone socket (my main one has both). Or you could feed it to your
>fancy lounge theatre equipment for surround sound and big TV monitor
>while you play a game on your computer or something.

pipewire takes HDMI into account, it'll be listed as its own channel in the list
of audio devices. Shouldn't be the source of problems in and of itself.

Something came to mind as I read you, however. Something I had forgotten, and I
am not sure if it matters for pipewire at all. The content of the machine-id,
file that freedesktop loves so much, may be used to generate the name of device
files. Meaning that if it is random or empty, your audio channel will change at
each boot. That was the behavior with pulseaudio. Another Poetterism that makes
things more complicated than it has to be.

--
Cheers,
                 Ludovic