:: Re: [DNG] Soundsystem mostly disapp…
Author: Ken Dibble
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Soundsystem mostly disappears in KDE Plasma on upgrade to Daedalus
On 8/8/24 19:37, onefang wrote:
> I can't help with Pulse or Pipe stuff (I don't use them), but I might be
> able to shed some light below.
>
> On 2024-08-08 12:10:53, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
>> PS: The Laptop has Intel HD Audio and some nvidia hardware, it's a ThinkPad
>> from around 2012 with dual graphics (discrete and integrated). I am not sure
>> why the nvidia hardware is relevant for audio, but I can see it in amixer,
>> maybe for HDMI output or so. The problem can be found searching the net, but
>> there are no general solutions that worked for me.
> HDMI output does include audio. Some computer monitors have speakers or
> headphone socket (my main one has both). Or you could feed it to your
> fancy lounge theatre equipment for surround sound and big TV monitor
> while you play a game on your computer or something.
>
> In my case I have an AMD video card in my desktop, with four output
> ports. Two Display Port two HDMI. For some odd reason the card includes
> SIX audio devices. Since the speakers on my main monitor are crap (not
> what I bought it for, they just where included) I only use it for system
> beeps and such. Music and things goes out to my rather nice desktop
> computer speakers. That has the benefit that when my monitors get turned
> off by the screen saver while I sleep, I can leave the music running, and
> not get woken up by system beeps.

It is my experience that the daedalus upgrade includes some type of
regression that affects sound.

I never had problems with HDMI sound before daedalus, using intel or
radeon graphics.

The aplay -L output contains about 20 devices and I have to set the
correct HDMI audio device with my .asoundrc file.

I always use LXQt for a desktop environment and all of my computers are
desktops, no laptops.

Not using HDMI is not an option in my case as it is needed to
accommodate devices for the hearing impaired.

The current issue that I am experiencing (in case there might be a hint
for the OP)  is that if the HDMI target device is ever powered off
(cleaning monitor, power saving on the monitor, etc.) then the HDMI
audio does not return on when the video does.

I have tried both intel on board video and a couple of radeon cards.

In order to resurrect the audio, the video output has to be plugged in
to another device and then returned to the original device.

Removing pulseaudio and pipewire, using only alsa does not help and that
is my current configuration.

I start applications that are hard-coded to pulseaudio with apulse.

Setting

/sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save to "0"

does not help  with any video/audio configuration

nor does

xset -dpms.

Turning off power management in the LXQt control panel does not help.

I am presently trying xset s 0 0, but do not have a definitive result yet.

Regards.