:: Re: [DNG] Soundsystem mostly disapp…
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Soundsystem mostly disappears in KDE Plasma on upgrade to Daedalus
Hello Adrian,

I'm currently using pipewire on Daedalus without issue. I've subscribed to the
backports of the package, which I suggest you do too. As for the your problem
leaving you without sound, I'm afraid that the amount of information given is
not enough. For instance, how is pipewire started on your machine? It has to be
a user process, so, in case of KDE, started with a connection script. They
should be located in `~/.config/old-autostart-scripts/`. (At least, mine are.)
I'll attach my script to give you an idea, though it relies on manually added
`pipewire` system group.

So the way pipewire function on my system is user dependent. As I start my KDE
session, the pipewire daemon is launched and KDE pick it up as an audio source.

Once the backports version are installed, make sure the file
/etc/security/limits.d/25-pw-rlimits.conf exists. Add a pipewire group, then add
your user to it:

      groupadd -r pipewire
      usermod -a -G pipewire <yourlogin>

Restart your KDE session, so that the new group takes effect, and if your have
the autostart script installed, you should have sound.

**NOTE:**
     You mentioned that you do sometime have sound after installing pipewire. It
     means that pipewire gets started, but sometimes fails. You need to figure
     out how the pipewire daemon gets started, and why it fails. I'd recommend to
     completely purge (`apt purge`) your system of pulseaudio and pipewire, then
     reinstall pipewire from backports.

For the attached script, you'll need to install the following package. As a
meta-package, it should pull in all that is required from its dependency:

# apt -t daedalus-backports install pipewire-audio

Cheers,
                 Ludovic