:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Alexis PM via Dng said on Fri, 5 Nov 2021 18:50:41 +0000 (UTC)

> Debian 11 Bullseye is the last Debian release that supports the
> non-merged-usr layout.
>It is therefore foreseeable that Devuan 4 Chimaera will also be.
>
>Official Debian information:
>
>The historical justifications for the filesystem layout with /bin,
>/sbin, and /lib directories separate from their equivalents under /usr
>no longer apply today; see the Freedesktop.org summary.

That's Freedesktop.org's opinion. Freedesktop is also very pro-systemd.

Personally, I want a directory, guaranteed not to be a mount point,
where the statically compiled binaries necessary to bring up the
system, things like mount and ln and vi and fsck, etc, so if I don't
want to, I don't have to run an initramfs. Even if /usr is a mountpoint.

The usr merge just denies us one more thing we used to be able to do,
which is typical of Freedesktop.Org recommended stuff.

As far as Debian's "Official Debian information", if Debian always made
wise choices, there would be no Devuan. :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt