:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Le 06/11/2021 à 03:03, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Personally, I want a directory, guaranteed not to be a mount point,
> where the statically compiled binaries necessary to bring up the
> system, things like mount and ln and vi and fsck, etc, so if I don't
> want to, I don't have to run an initramfs.

    Hi Steve. It seems you always understand the s of sbin as meaning
"static". it isn't. Look at Devuan binaries in /sbin and /usr/sbin; they
are dynamically linked. s stands for "system".

 # file /bin/mount
/bin/mount: setuid ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2,
BuildID[sha1]=82eb1fdddc0083f599c4072f4e1a39e28de6c759, for GNU/Linux
3.2.0, stripped

What is called "interpreter" here is the dynamic linker associated to
the shared version of gcc, the Gnu C library. There is practically no
statically linked application in a Debian distribution, except some part
of debootstrap.

--     Didier