:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Svante Signell via Dng - 05.11.21, 21:13:10 CET:
> On Fri, 2021-11-05 at 18:50 +0000, Alexis PM via Dng wrote:
> > Debian 11 Bullseye is the last Debian release that supports the
> > non-
> > merged-usr layout. It is therefore foreseeable that Devuan 4
> > Chimaera
> > will also be.
>
> I'm not so sure Devuan has to follow Debian with respect to merged-
> /usr. In my opinion it is more a policy decision to make for the
> project. It is up to discussion though though.
> Comments/arguments/opinions are very welcomed.

I wonder what Devuan would do, if Debian packages ship all binaries in
/usr. It would need quite some patching to undo it.

But for all Devuan Beowulf / Chimaera servers it will be no /usr-merge
for me. And for my Devuan Ceres laptops it will be like that for as long
as possible.

I do not find the link at the moment, but I saw a quite good idea for an
alternative to the FHS standard. And this was using /command directory
for the currently active binaries, symlinked to packages in /package
directory where they contain version numbers. And also some provision
for documentation. I do not know how libs where handled tough in this
scheme. But in the end an alternative would need to provide a real
benefit for me, especially if some breakage is to be expected. With
merged /usr I get the breakage… but I do not see much of a benefit at
least for the way I use Linux.

Best,
--
Martin