:: Re: [DNG] Update on the Green Hat H…
Author: Irrwahn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Update on the Green Hat Hackers attack
KatolaZ wrote on 01.04.19 09:03:
> Dear D1rs,
>
> we have analysed in depth the attack from the "Green Hat Hackers" that
> compromised the Devuan infrastructure in the last hours, and we
> concluded that you all are:
>
>    ***** APRIL FOOLS *****

> :P

D'oh!

A prank well executed from a purely technical POV, kudos for that. However
IMO in quite bad taste given anything even remotely security related when
talking OS distributions is quite a touchy subject.

At the very least you had me with my finger already on the kill switch for
one of the packet mirrors, for a short while. Not sure it was worth it.

> Hope you enjoyed the new Devuan gopherholes, as they are most probably
> going to stay.

Now, this is the one part of the joke I can wholeheartedly appreciate. ;-)

[...]> if you are wondering, unfortunately 1554123859 is not a prime number :\

MFW I was literally only a few keystrokes away of actually checking. -.-

[...]
> Never forget to Live, Love, Linux, and have a good Laugh!
>
> LLoLL

Evil me let off a diabolical chuckle, does that count? }:->

Reasonable me, however, would like to kindly suggest you a choose less
sinister scenario for potential future jokes on that scale. And please
keep in mind that April fools jokes are popular only in some parts of
so-called western culture, and not a concept readily recognized or
accepted globally.

So yeah, please have a good laugh at your fellow Devuaners expense every
once in a while, by all means. We all need to vent every now and then,
especially those who work tirelessly to keep things rolling. Just be
aware that this particular kind of joke might eventually backfire in
unexpected ways.

Just my two nano-cents.

Cheers,
Urban