:: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Quoting g4sra (g4sra@???):

> The relaying of others opinion is useful, however I would prefer to hear
> it from the horses mouth.

FWIW, I note that what I related seems to match the view of local users with
personal LFS experience.

That's not just "others' opinion". That's two highly reputable ones,
especially LWN.net But, sure, feel entirely welcome to make up your own
mind and apply your own criteria.

> As for WWW sources I don't have the time to vet the credentials of every
> individual who has written (bull$hitted) about some topic or other.

That's potentially a conundrum for you, then: By the same logic, you
don't have time to vet credibility of mailing list contributors, either.
Yet lately on Dng you've posed remarkably sweeping technical questions
and invited the entire community to toil away at those. One has to
wonder, from _your_ perspective, how do you know responses you've
prompted are credible?

Also, looking from the perspective of aspiring helpers, they have a
similar problem, deciding on which querents to lavish limited time and
energy. One must prioritise. In general, experienced helpers look for
querents who ask focussed questions (suggesting capacity & willingness to
learn), and who do basic research. Those are the ones most likely to
benefit and to later 'pay forward', helping others as they were helped.

(Once upon a time, I co-wrote a modestly popular Web essay called 'How to
Ask Questions the Smart Way' with my friend Eric Raymond. It might be
of interest, and a few thousand technical projects link to it from their
help sites.)

> Not a website I am familiar with.

As xkcd puts it, you're part of today's lucky 10,000, then. ;->
https://xkcd.com/1053/