:: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
Author: Bruce Ferrell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] RFC - Linux From Scratch
On 12/3/18 3:52 AM, g4sra wrote:
>> I've not used LFS. I've talked to many people who have.
> Thank you for the reply, but you do not quite fit the demographic I was
> looking for.

Well, maybe *I* fit your demographic then...

In my 40 year career, I've worked IBM systems, Mainframe and desktop, Oracle and other large DB systems by a number of vendors and just about every *IX variant that has existed at
one time or another.

I am WELL aware of LWN. It IS well respected, curated and run by a well known Linux kernel developer.  I can't say I always agree with what is to said there, but I respect his work
and the people writing there... And I take the time to investigate before deciding what can be dismissed.

I've also used LFS just to see what it could teach me and use it as a training tool for hands on teaching Linux, not distro, fundamentals. For this later purpose, it's extremely
useful.  As a method of setting up and running production systems, not so much... One may as well run Arch for the build time required.

I'd STRONGLY suggest that you might get a lot from the hands on aspects of LFS and perhaps have less need of opinions other than your own.