:: [DNG] [OT] The End of Trust
Author: golinux
To: Dng
Subject: [DNG] [OT] The End of Trust
For your reading pleasure:

https://www.eff.org/the-end-of-trust

Most of it is familiar but I did discover something that I didn't know.
Tucked away in the sidebar on page 226 is this interesting factoid:

"The website freedom-to-tinker.com, hosted by Princeton’s
Center for Information Technology Policy, published a study
highlighting a particularly invasive data-mining software
called “session replay scripts” that are being used by an
increasing number of websites. According to the study, session
replay scripts “record your keystrokes, mouse movements,
and scrolling behavior, along with the entire contents of the
pages you visit.” Unlike most third-party analytics services,
which provide aggregate statistics of your searches and the
pages you visit, session replay scripts actually record your
individual browsing session in its entirety, “as if someone is
looking over your shoulder”.

The study lists tens of thousands of websites that were
either found recording users’ browsing sessions or have the
capability to do so. Among the big-name sites are xfinity.com,
windows.com, texas.gov, petco.com, and fandango.com. The
following sites were also found on that list."
—Landon Bates

Here are links to the study and full list:

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2017/11/15/no-boundaries-exfiltration-of-personal-data-by-session-replay-scripts/

https://webtransparency.cs.princeton.edu/no_boundaries/session_replay_sites.html

It just keeps getting worse and worse . . .

golinux