:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
KatolaZ - 18.11.18, 09:36:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 01:08:41AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 12:22:18AM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> > > I'm well aware of the present limitations that make it
> > > impossible to let Devuan be an indipendent distribution: too
> > > little manpower behind it and too llittle corporate/VC support
> > > for it. It could well be that Devuan will never be anything more
> > > than a systemd-less-Debian, always behind it's parent
> > > distribution and always trying to catch up to their design
> > > implementations. Of course I wouldn't call this success.>
> > I think that instead of making Devuan independent, we should strive
> > to kill it. Just not in the way Lennart wants.
> >
> > By keeping all unbelievers to a ghetto, systemd proponents make way
> > for an excuse for putting Debian even deeper into the systemd land.
> > Thus, widening the gap is IMHO the worst thing you can do.
> >
> > Instead, any package diff from Debian should be considered a problem
> > to be fixed. Any patches, instead of removing systemd support,
> > should make things work both with systemd and modular init/rc
> > systems. And be upstreamed as soon as possible.
>
> This is not gonna happen, given for instance the way our presence in
> debian-devel has been "cheered up" (with aggressive posts and personal

The most important aspect here is: "has been". Its in the past already
and it does not determine the future.

> insults). The truth is that too many people have a problem with other
> people not liking systemd and not wanting it around. So I am sorry
> but Devuan will stay around.

Maybe… not just yet.

But there certainly is a potential. I am glad about the wonderful
cooperation between some Devuan and some Debian developers.

Of course, re-uniting and still providing the choice between any other
init system and systemd or usr-split and usr-merge would require to
solve quite some technical challenges as well. I'd say it is not
impossible, but it could be challenging.

However… I certainly agree with you on working with what is important
now and focus with the wonderful collaboration that some may have
thought would be totally impossible. Move on from what we have… instead
of focusing of what we do not appear to have yet. Focus on the
abundance, instead of on the lack.

--
Martin