:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
KatolaZ - 18.11.18, 09:40:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 04:51:43PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

[…]
> > ACK. Just like to point out that Devuan might run into packages
> > that
> > have already moved programs that really ought to be in /bin or /sbin
> > over to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
> >
> > Image bash getting installed in /usr/bin/bash. With the merged /usr
> > scenario that's not a problem because /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin
> > and all you #!/bin/bash scripts will continue to work just fine.
> > In the non-merged scenario /bin/bash will not exist and all hell
> > breaks loose.
> Let's solve first the problems that we have now, instead of trying to
> solve the problems that we do not have as yet (and might not ever have
> at all), OK? :)
>
> There is no reason so far for the packagers of basic utilities to
> massively move their stuff under /usr/bin and/or /usr/sbin. So let's
> keep calm and carry on ;)

As pointed out already… kmod in Debian is already changed to having
libkmod in /usr instead of /lib¹. kmod is being maintained by Debian
developers who are also involved with Systemd.

Thus… /usr mounted later… all drivers in order to actually mount /usr
would have to be compiled into the kernel with that updated kmod package
already. And they just moved the library, not the binary for now.
Worrying themselves they may break to much by moving the binaries.

However so far, that is just one package I am aware of. Devuan could
have its own version of it. Likely not all Debian developers propagate
the usrmerge.

[1] Please move libkmod to /usr/lib
https://bugs.debian.org/894566

--