:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 01:09:59PM +0100, info at smallinnovations dot nl wrote:
> On 18-11-18 09:36, KatolaZ wrote:
> > This is not gonna happen, given for instance the way our presence in
> > debian-devel has been "cheered up" (with aggressive posts and personal
> > insults). The truth is that too many people have a problem with other
> > people not liking systemd and not wanting it around. So I am sorry but
> > Devuan will stay around.
> >
> > HND
> >
> > KatolaZ
>
> That had been to be expected the origins of Devuan were not a polite
> conversation and language used on this list against debian-devs still
> contains harsh words. If only possible i would advise  to stay present
> on debian-devel so they never can have the say Devuan does not want
> cooperation. (And to remind them daily what bad choice they made with
> their systemd only. Which is the origin of their aggressive posts now.)
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Dear Nick,

in the last month or so we have been doing much more than staying on a
mailing list. sysvinit-2.91 is in debian/experimental and
devuan/experimental, mostly unmodified, and it will soon get into
debian/sid and devuan/ceres. This is mainly thanks to the work of
Jesse Smith upstream and of several Debian developers, with some help
from a few Devuan developers as well.

Some work has been done on elogind by Mark and Andreas, and that's
quite promising, even if the polkit knot is still there to be
addressed. We are doing whatever is possible (and concretely
achievable) to guarantee enough choice and alternatives, also in
Debian.

The fact that systemd is the default in Debian and that any attempt to
discuss the possibility of supporting alternatives is mostly seen as
"trolling" does not make life any easier though. That's why I am
convinced that Devuan will need and will manage to stay around, and I
am not at all scared of what it could entail. I am sure we will find a
way to do it ;)

HND

KatolaZ