:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Thu, 23 May 2024 06:47:20 -0400 - Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

> al3xu5 via Dng said on Sat, 18 May 2024 19:53:40 +0200
>
> >Artix Linux -- runit edition + LXDE (which I'm trying right now) seems
> >very interesting.
>
> Runit is spectacular, and so is LXDE. As a benefit, LXDE's window
> manager is OpenBox. On my desktop I use Openbox alone, aided by dmenu
> and UMENU2. On my laptops, where I have a lower IQ, I use LXDE.

Indeed. I use Devuan+LXDE(OpenBox WM) on all my machines. For me it is the
best combination: excellent and light desktop manager to have sufficient
"convenience" together with intensive use of the terminal and minimal use of
the mouse, excellent performance thanks to the lightness of the system, wide
availability of packages, no-systemd... and - last but not least - the Devuan
community ;-)

> >It is a systemd-free rolling-release distribution, based on Arch
> >Linux, with a large number of packages available:
>
> I hope Artix does a better job with their rolling release than Arch (or
> Gentoo or Funtoo).

I wouldn't know how good it is their rolling release... But an Artix feature
that seemed notable to me is the good runit support: 172 runit scipts are
available.

Regards
alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B