:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Steve Litt - 17.05.24, 09:48:53 CEST:
> I wasn't able to parse the exact point you were making, but just in
> case it was in response to Debian ruining the Linux world by accepting
> systemd, I'd reply that Debian wasn't just a single distribution: It
> was the foundation for Ubuntu and probably a hundred other
> distributions. Once Don Armstrong broke the tie in systemd's favor, it
> foist systemd on the majority of existing distributions. And of course
> they already had the redhat galaxie.

SUSE switched over to Systemd as well before Debian did.

Would be interesting to know the current market share regarding Systemd or
alternate init system distribution wise.

I bet Alpine Linux is used *a lot* in the container world. And also the
Devuan community does not appear to be so small anymore. But did not
research whether there are any reliable numbers. Distrowatch is not really
an accurate measure, I'd say. They just measure web page accesses. And
that has a lot of uncertainties:

1. Alpine Linux and other alternative init system distributions may be
more used on servers than desktops. No desktop, usually no web browser
accessing the site.

2. The web browser may be configured to report at running under Windows for
making it less unique and thus more difficult to track. My main browser
does.

3. Users of some distro may access the site more often than often.

4. They have Devuan in the list, but I am not sure how reliable the
browser based differentiation between Debian and Devuan really is.

5. It is just accesses of the web page anyway. In addition to servers all
kinds of systems that are not used for web surfing are excluded.

Best,
--
Martin