:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
al3xu5 via Dng said on Sat, 18 May 2024 19:53:40 +0200

>As far as I could understand from what I saw (quickly and quite
>superficially), Void seemed really great to me.

I've used Void since 2015, and for a person who is comfortable with
POSIX and doesn't want any sort of training wheels, Void is great. For
those newer to Linux, I recommend Devuan.

>The only limitation could be a quite limited number of packages, which
>requires the user compiling unavailable packages (which can be a lot
>for users who want a general multipurpose system). I haven't looked
>into it further: I don't know if there is a way to quickly "import"
>"external" packages (.deb etc.) which would be truly remarkable.

I wouldn't say "quite limited number of packages", because my
experience is that Void has all the usual suspects. But yeah, it
doesn't have the package depth of Devuan.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21