:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
On 5/17/24 10:48, Steve Litt wrote:
> William Peckham via Dng said on Thu, 16 May 2024 19:01:20 -0400
>
>> Keep in mind that Debian is not Linux. It is a single distribution
>> that has a long history
>
> [snip]

[snip]
> that Debian wasn't just a single distribution: It
> was the foundation for Ubuntu and probably a hundred other
> distributions.

[snip]

Yes, it is the core of a whole slew of other distros, Devuan included.

I checked once. Debian is the ancestor of some two hundred and forty or
so according to DistroWatch, directly or indirectly. About half of
those distros are active, the rest are defunct. It was worse than
cavalier for one guy there to just lift systemd out of the 4th place in
the TC vote and unilaterally force it onto those 120+ derivatives. The
subsequent folding of individuals and projects that followed was
bizarre. No push back.

In some ways the campaign is still ongoing because I read articles
rather frequently which miscategorize systemd as an init system.
Perhaps that is something which can be addressed as a community by
calling out attempts to frame systemd as an init system. If people
mistake it for an init system, there is less incentive to care and that
makes our community's task harder. As more people see it for what it
is, then there may be more hands to help clean.

/Lars