:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
On Fri, 2024-05-17 at 10:23 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> SUSE switched over to Systemd as well before Debian did.

SUSE is based on the RPM package system, which is heavily linked to Red
Hat and its method of rolling out package updates, and also to the
anaconda installer. Apart from Red Hat itself, the first distros to get
systemd were ones like CentOS and Fedora, and it was obvious that other
RPM-based ones probably wouldn't be far behind.

(Aside: as far as I know, there's as yet no RPM-based distribution
which doesn't use systemd. It's been on my mind for years that it
would at least be an interesting experiment to install an RPM-based
distro and then work through the equivalent of the process which was
used to remove systemd from debian.)