:: [DNG] Cross distro collaboration (w…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Cross distro collaboration (was: Re: What is an init system?)
William Peckham via Dng - 17.05.24, 01:01:20 CEST:
> Keep in mind that Debian is not Linux. It is a single distribution that
> has a long history of proper community support and support for the
> community (although it has always had a political element internally)
> it was longer lasting and arguably better than most of the others.
> Certainly it adhered more closely to the FOSS and Unix philosophies
> than most. That Debian has died. Counting on it is probably
> counterproductive, but ignoring it maybe just as bad. We are not the
> only ones using or maintaining Linux distributions that are free from
> SystemD. There are other distributions that have no parent back end
> (Hola Void and Slackware friends!), or that have a back end in the Red
> Hat family, or in Arch. We might consider those our nearest neighbors
> in the community.

Add to that Alpine Linux, a distribution I am really impressed by.

While apt 2.9 seems to initialize quite a bit faster than previous
versions their apk package manager is almost unbelievably fast. I am not
sure I would believe it if I have not seen it. Dist upgrading a minimal
system with SSH from 3.18 to 3.19 of Alpine Linux took like say: 1 second,
maybe 2?

And being able to install a minimal Linux system with SSH in about 20-30
MiB (yes, you read that right) storage space is really impressive as well.

Haha, I bet those two are related. Alpine Linux will get lots bigger in
case you install a full desktop environment, but their footprint for SSH
based systems is almost ridiculously low. Or wait, is it? There has been
the time where such low storage needs were standard among operating
systems.

They use OpenRC.

PostmarketOS is based on it, unfortunately due to some problems with
desktop integration they switched to Systemd, but as far as I read still
provide a version based on OpenRC as well. Not sure which desktop
environment those problems refer to. I'd bet rather GNOME than KDE's
Plasma, but so far I did not research further. Will do so, cause I like to
know whether I can put Plasma Mobile on OpenRC based PostmarketOS onto an
SHIFTphone 6mq. That would be great, although I am fully aware that I
cannot expect it to be production ready at this point in time and it might
be wise to install an Android based custom ROM and dual boot if possible.
>From what I read so far that might be doable.

Yesterday I wondered about some kind of cross alternate init system
distribution communication channel like a mailing list of some sort. Not
sure whether Devuan, Alpine Linux, Void and so on people would be
interested in that.

--
Martin