:: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merg…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merge
Le 04/04/2024 à 12:50, Dan Purgert via Dng a écrit :
> On Apr 04, 2024, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> [...]
>> My opinion is that this merge is a good thing; the split makes no
>> sense nowadays.
> Conversely, I like that sbin isn't in the normal user's $PATH, and it
> gives me that extra moment of pause if I see the file not found error.
>
> --

    As usual, every crack in a complicated system is a place for
special and peculiar usage. This isn't a reason to prefer needless
complication.

    In the same way, some people (even distros) installed executables
with the same name in /sbin and in /bin and/or their usr-merged
equivalents. A few years ago, one might have up to 6 such versions of
the same application, with /usr/local. And have good fun with PATH
definition.

    The fact that Fedora relates this to systemd is just a symptom that
they don't even remember what Linux was before systemd. They've become
unable to /think/ without systemd. Seems they used to install different
binaries with the same name in sbin and bin to make a symlink dance
through another application possibly granting permission when it was
invoqued from sbin; even more complicated than Debian's "alternatives"
or Sysvrc's update-rc.d!

--     Didier