:: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merg…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eventually: the sbin merge
On Thursday 04 April 2024 at 13:11:10, Daniel Abrecht via Dng wrote:

> /usr/local is for files that do not originate from the distribution /
> vendor.
> It is a place users put stuff. /usr/local absolutely must not be merged
> with /usr.

I don't believe there is any proposal to merge /usr/local/bin with /bin, or
/usr/local/sbin with /sbin

The proposal https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Unify_bin_and_sbin appears
to be to merge /usr/bin with /usr/sbin, and separately to merge /usr/local/bin
with /usr/local/sbin

I'm not saying I like it, but I agree with you that /usr/local/bin must remain
separate from /bin, and that at least is not being threatened.

Antony.

--
I conclude that there are two ways of constructing a software design: One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies, and the

- C A R Hoare

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.