:: Re: [DNG] HW: Which brand and model…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] HW: Which brand and model of lapto have your successfully installed Devuan on?
On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 11:56:07AM +1000, terryc wrote:

> I have a strong preference to not pay the Microsoft Tax and not waste
> my money on bits for which there are no linux drivers. Obviously
> running Devuan is preferable.
>
> Unfortunately, there appears to be no local vendor of Linux only
> laptops around any more. The only one in the coutry that I could
> located actually buys Win OS laptops and co-installs Linux and I'd
> prefer to avoid the future hassles that will cause(leopard-spots).

I did a quick search and found www.metabox.com.au which sells Clevo
laptops: you configure them yourself and you can select
"No Operating system". See, for example,
https://www.metabox.com.au/store/b268/Metabox-Alpha-X-NH58RA-Laptop

I have no knowledge of that company: I just did a search for Clevo &
Australia.

Clevo laptops are sold under many different names: I think all resellers
rebrand them. I think all the resellers offer "No Operating system", so
no MS tax. Unfortunately, as yet they do not offer any Ryzen laptops,
although that could change. I suspect Clevo actually manufacture many of
the "well known" brands.

Send from a Clevo laptop, which has never been soiled by MS, running Linux...

ael