:: Re: [DNG] HW: Which brand and model…
Author: tom
To: terryc
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] HW: Which brand and model of lapto have your successfully installed Devuan on?
On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 11:56:07 +1000
terryc <terryc@???> wrote:

> This is a hardware question.
> Which brand and model(s) of laptop have people successfully installed
> devuan onto?
> How difficult was it?
>
> Thank You In Advance.
>
> The long story; I finally have a need to purchase my own personal
> laptop and have spent the last few days searching for such a beastie
> that I can order.
>
> I have a strong preference to not pay the Microsoft Tax and not waste
> my money on bits for which there are no linux drivers. Obviously
> running Devuan is preferable.
>
> Unfortunately, there appears to be no local vendor of Linux only
> laptops around any more. The only one in the coutry that I could
> located actually buys Win OS laptops and co-installs Linux and I'd
> prefer to avoid the future hassles that will cause(leopard-spots).
>
> Note, also having great difficulty finding out how to order such a
> beastie from the major global brands.

My favorite laptop for running Linux is the Lenovo Thinkpad model T430
modified to run CoreBoot and IntelManagementEngine-nuetered. It has
been one of the most reliable machines I have ever owned. Runs Devuan
ASCII perfectly. I've got a 500G Samsung Pro SSD in there and 8GB of
Corsair RAM. I wonder if NASA still uses these in the ISS.

It was no difficulty at all installing Devuan on the device but I did
have to completely dissemble the device to get access to the two EEPROM
chips and attach an in-circuit programmer to them for flashing of
CoreBoot which removes the NSA management engine backdoor, removes the
restriction on which mPCIE cards can be installed, and allows the use
of generic batteries.

--
__________________________________
/ If love is the answer, could you \