:: Re: [DNG] When upgrading to Beowulf…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] When upgrading to Beowulf please test and report issues with eudev-3.2.9-2 from unstable!
On 1/9/20 3:40 PM, 'smee via Dng wrote:

> Correct, I can add it and try reinstall but just trying to figure out
> why firmeware-misc-nonfree and firmware-linux-nonfree are there. If the
> simplest answer is just that I must have installed them myself, I can
> accept that, but I don't think they're there by default, and according
> to this excersize seem to require me to enable the non-free
> repository...

Sorry I'm tuning into this late. No, you didn't install those non-free
packages on your system. I am the one who did that.

The live isos have non-free firmware installed but do not have contrib and
non-free in sources.list. They also have a script to remove all the
non-free packages that are installed. That script is in
/usr/local/bin/remove-non-free-firmware in the desktop-live and
/root/remove-firmware.sh in the minimal live.

After running that script and removing all the non-free firmware, you
might decide that you needed one of those packages. They are included in
the desktop-live iso. (They're in /firmware on the media.) That's done in
case you delete your only means of getting online to get your wireless driver.

fsmithred