:: Re: [DNG] When upgrading to Beowulf…
Author: 'smee
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] When upgrading to Beowulf please test and report issues with eudev-3.2.9-2 from unstable!
On Thu, 2020-01-09 at 21:29 +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Thursday 09 January 2020 at 21:25:51, 'smee via Dng wrote:
>
> > > Does "aptitude why firmware-misc-nonfree" help?
> >
> > nothing other than itself listed after depends...
> >
> > "i firmware-linux-nonfree Depends firmware-misc-nonfree (=
> > 20161130-
> > 3)"
>
> No, that's not itself :) Thats' "firmware-LINUX-nonfree" :)

aah I see. apt shows firmware-linux-nonfree was manually installed, I
don't recall ever installing it, in fact I thought I had successfully
avoided installing anything nonfree in devuan on this machine. So I
thought it must be a dependency itself, but aptitude why shows no
dependencies.

> > > How about "apt-cache policy firmware-misc-nonfree"
> >
> > firmware-misc-nonfree:
> >   Installed: 20161130-3
> >   Candidate: 20161130-3
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 20161130-3 100
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> Okay, so you certainly have the latest installed.
>
> > > or "aptitude reinstall firmware-misc-nonfree"?
> >
> > oddly aptitude says it can't find a source for the package that I
> > have
> > installed. I assume aptitude uses /etc/apt/sources.list so it
> > should
> > point to beowulf repo's by default.
>
> This confirms that you don't have "non-free" in your sources.list
> file:

Correct, I can add it and try reinstall but just trying to figure out
why firmeware-misc-nonfree and firmware-linux-nonfree are there. If the
simplest answer is just that I must have installed them myself, I can
accept that, but I don't think they're there by default, and according
to this excersize seem to require me to enable the non-free
repository...