:: Re: [DNG] New application ready to …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] New application ready to test: hopman
Le 24/04/2019 à 00:24, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 12:22:44 +0200
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>>     Hello Devuaneers.
>>
>>     I have put on https://git.devuan.org/kryn/hopman an application
>> to let mount/umount/open filesystems on hotplug mass storage devises
>> such as USB sticks or SD cards. This is a replacements for features
>> provided by Desktop Environments.
> [snip]
>
> OUT-standing!!!!
>
> I didn't have a ready to use Devuan VM, so I just installed it on Void
> Linux. It worked perfectly, once I understood the deal.
>
> A lot of the stuff I report here might not happen on Devuan, but then
> again I might find some errors or maloptimizations that might be edge
> cases in Devuan.
>
> Anyway, I followed your compile instructions and it worked perfectly.
> But when I ran hopman, I got a "Bus error" message running it as either
> slitt or root. So I touched /home/slitt/.hopmanrc, got past the bus
> error, but got another error. Infatiguable, I copied the entirety
> of /etc/default/hopmanrc to ~/.hopmanrc, and the thing began to work.

    I didn't try to link it against musl libc yet. Thanksfor doing it.
Many C library functions are non-standard in glibc and the application
might well rely on some non-standard behaviour. Or there might just be a
bigger bug. Reading config file is done by mmap()ing it and then there's
some realloc()  stuff to store the data.

> For those of you who haven't tried hopman yet, let me define "work".
> You run hopman on the command line, and it sits there and spins. No
> gui. *Until* you insert a thumb drive. Then, all of a sudden, the gui
> pops up with the thumb's label. Left click the label line and you get
> choices to open in filemanager, open in terminal, mount, or eject.
> Regardless of what you set EjectHelper to in .hopmanrc, trying to eject
> always errors saying "No command helper". This is true even if I set
> the EjectHelper to the same string as UmountHelper in ~/.hopmanrc. I
> have a hunch something's hard coded that shouldn't be. One of the source
> files (config.c I think) mentions there's no known EjectHelper.

    Yes, I have hardcoded it before I developped the configuration
capabilities. I should remove this hard-coding.

> Hopman didn't show up anywhere on my lxpanel: I have a feeling that was
> a design decision so hopman doesn't need to know the intracies of each
> panel it interfaces with.

    I don't know how to do that, and didn't think of it even. I guess
this is standardized in Freedesktop -- not everything is bad in Freedesktop.

> Bottom line, a running Hopman shows a GUI window *only* if thumb drives
> or USB harddisks are plugged in.
>
> Like almost every other mounter software, hopman gets itself in a crazy
> state if you yank the thumb drive out before unmounting it. In this
> crazy state, it tells you you can't unmount it because it's in use.

    That shouldn't happen. Hopman could only tell you it is not
mounted. Or it is just the error reported by pumount. And pumount will
probably report it because you still have the mountpoint in use in a
terminal or file manager or any other application.

Anyway the mountpoint shouldn't be reported anymore by the kernel in
/proc/self/mountinfo, and hopman checks this file every 5s (by default)
and will report it is not mounted.

> This also happened on my inotifywait based mounter (which another
> Devuanner improved substantially). I'll research this more.
>
> I'm trying to create a runit run file for hopman and am having a little
> trouble. I'll report back later.

    hopman isn't a system-wide daemon. It should rather be considered a
login session daemon; it runs for a user. Are you using runit to launch
your session's daemons? I think the session daemons can be declared in
the DE's configuration.

> One more thing: Hopman is wonderful software. Very few dependencies,
> easy as hell to compile. No ./configure step. No BS. The source is
> fairly easy to read. It does one thing and does it well. This is how
> all software should be written.

    Thanks Steve. That was the goal; these are the principle we all
share at Devuan (~:

        Didier