:: Re: [DNG] New application ready to …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] New application ready to test: hopman
Le 24/04/2019 à 01:05, Evilham via Dng a écrit :
> [...]
> >>
> >>     I have put on https://git.devuan.org/kryn/hopman an application
> >> to let mount/umount/open filesystems on hotplug mass storage devises
> >> such as USB sticks or SD cards. This is a replacements for features
> >> provided by Desktop Environments.
> >
> >[snip]
> >
> >OUT-standing!!!!
> >
> >I didn't have a ready to use Devuan VM, so I just installed it on Void
> >Linux. It worked perfectly, once I understood the deal.
> >
> >A lot of the stuff I report here might not happen on Devuan, but then
> >again I might find some errors or maloptimizations that might be edge
> >cases in Devuan.
> >
> >Anyway, I followed your compile instructions and it worked perfectly.
> >But when I ran hopman, I got a "Bus error" message running it as either
> >slitt or root. So I touched /home/slitt/.hopmanrc, got past the bus
> >error, but got another error. Infatiguable, I copied the entirety
> >of /etc/default/hopmanrc to ~/.hopmanrc, and the thing began to work.
> >
> >For those of you who haven't tried hopman yet, let me define "work".
> >You run hopman on the command line, and it sits there and spins. No
> >gui. *Until* you insert a thumb drive. Then, all of a sudden, the gui
> >pops up with the thumb's label. Left click the label line and you get
> >choices to open in filemanager, open in terminal, mount, or eject.
> >Regardless of what you set EjectHelper to in .hopmanrc, trying to eject
> >always errors saying "No command helper". This is true even if I set
> >the EjectHelper to the same string as UmountHelper in ~/.hopmanrc. I
> >have a hunch something's hard coded that shouldn't be. One of the
> >source
> >files (config.c I think) mentions there's no known EjectHelper.
> >
> >Hopman didn't show up anywhere on my lxpanel: I have a feeling that was
> >a design decision so hopman doesn't need to know the intracies of each
> >panel it interfaces with.
> >
> >Bottom line, a running Hopman shows a GUI window *only* if thumb drives
> >or USB harddisks are plugged in.
> >
> >Like almost every other mounter software, hopman gets itself in a crazy
> >state if you yank the thumb drive out before unmounting it. In this
> >crazy state, it tells you you can't unmount it because it's in use.
> >This also happened on my inotifywait based mounter (which another
> >Devuanner improved substantially). I'll research this more.
> >
> >I'm trying to create a runit run file for hopman and am having a little
> >trouble. I'll report back later.
> >
> >One more thing: Hopman is wonderful software. Very few dependencies,
> >easy as hell to compile. No ./configure step. No BS. The source is
> >fairly easy to read. It does one thing and does it well. This is how
> >all software should be written.
> >

> Thank you for the review! I had the feeling this would be quite nice :-).
>
> If I may recommend, open 3 issues on gdo (on phone, about to sleep,
> else I'd do it):
>
> 1. Improve documentation / UX by communicating the "No GUI until you

    It might print a message on stderr (all messages are sent to
stderr, except by error of the author), however one can read in the man
page that "Hopman shows a list of  hotplug (removable) mass storage
partitions; it is invisible when there is no hot-plug partition."

> 2. Either gracefully treat a packing rc dir or to create it
> automatically or just to have a good stderr message

    Please excuse me evilham, I don't know what is a "packing rc dir".

> 3. Document the misbehaviour when users... Misbehave (okay, that was a
> bad joke).

    There's an infinite number of ways a human can misbehave. For
brutal extraction of the media, I don't think it is easy to characterize.

    Thanks.

            Didier