:: Re: [DNG] New application ready to …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New application ready to test: hopman
On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 12:22:44 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>     Hello Devuaneers.
>
>     I have put on https://git.devuan.org/kryn/hopman an application
> to let mount/umount/open filesystems on hotplug mass storage devises
> such as USB sticks or SD cards. This is a replacements for features
> provided by Desktop Environments.

[snip]

OUT-standing!!!!

I didn't have a ready to use Devuan VM, so I just installed it on Void
Linux. It worked perfectly, once I understood the deal.

A lot of the stuff I report here might not happen on Devuan, but then
again I might find some errors or maloptimizations that might be edge
cases in Devuan.

Anyway, I followed your compile instructions and it worked perfectly.
But when I ran hopman, I got a "Bus error" message running it as either
slitt or root. So I touched /home/slitt/.hopmanrc, got past the bus
error, but got another error. Infatiguable, I copied the entirety
of /etc/default/hopmanrc to ~/.hopmanrc, and the thing began to work.

For those of you who haven't tried hopman yet, let me define "work".
You run hopman on the command line, and it sits there and spins. No
gui. *Until* you insert a thumb drive. Then, all of a sudden, the gui
pops up with the thumb's label. Left click the label line and you get
choices to open in filemanager, open in terminal, mount, or eject.
Regardless of what you set EjectHelper to in .hopmanrc, trying to eject
always errors saying "No command helper". This is true even if I set
the EjectHelper to the same string as UmountHelper in ~/.hopmanrc. I
have a hunch something's hard coded that shouldn't be. One of the source
files (config.c I think) mentions there's no known EjectHelper.

Hopman didn't show up anywhere on my lxpanel: I have a feeling that was
a design decision so hopman doesn't need to know the intracies of each
panel it interfaces with.

Bottom line, a running Hopman shows a GUI window *only* if thumb drives
or USB harddisks are plugged in.

Like almost every other mounter software, hopman gets itself in a crazy
state if you yank the thumb drive out before unmounting it. In this
crazy state, it tells you you can't unmount it because it's in use.
This also happened on my inotifywait based mounter (which another
Devuanner improved substantially). I'll research this more.

I'm trying to create a runit run file for hopman and am having a little
trouble. I'll report back later.

One more thing: Hopman is wonderful software. Very few dependencies,
easy as hell to compile. No ./configure step. No BS. The source is
fairly easy to read. It does one thing and does it well. This is how
all software should be written.

SteveT