:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 12:11:25 +0100
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>     IIUC, your argument boils down to "depending on /usr for early
> boot is a *bug*", while Roger told us why it has become a *feature*
> (~:

I can think of very few cases where a disallowed usage is a feature.
Private and local variables are two of the few. The pre-UEFI inability
to brick your mobo was definitely another.

But I don't think foreclosing the opportunity to boot exclusively
from the / partition, without an initramfs, is a "feature". Giving a
choice is a feature, removing the alternative choice is not.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2018 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr