:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 13:27:04 +0100
Stephan Seitz <stse+devuan@???> wrote:

> On Mi, Nov 28, 2018 at 12:11:25 +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
> >    IIUC, your argument boils down to "depending on /usr for early
> >boot is a *bug*", while Roger told us why it has become a *feature*
> >(~:
>
> You can discuss if this is a feature but the fact is that most
> distributions have given up supporting a separate /usr in later
> boot.

Devuan isn't most distros. By nature of its banishment of systemd,
Devuan is a DIY friendly distro. DIY friendly means exposing all the
dials and levers to the computer's operator/admin/user, which means
leaving /sbin and /lib where they are.

Devuan != Ubuntu

And, because of what Debian has become:

Devuan != Debian

[snip]

> Maintainers are encouraged to install everything in /usr because it
> must be available in early boot.

I see the fingerprints of Redhat, Poettering and Freedesktop all over
such encouragement, and highly doubt it's for technical reasons.

> That’s why the usrmerge is only the logical next step. If you can’t
> live without /usr, you can put everything in it. Why should you waste
> your precious resources? There are enough other problems.

My understanding is that Devuan will ask in the fresh installer whether
the user wants to merge or not, with the default being no merge. This
is fine with me. Do you have a problem with it?

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2018 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr