:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Stephan Seitz
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Hi Stephan,

# Disclaimer: / and /usr live on the same partition on my systems.
# Heads up: I just might change that ... back to what I used to do.

Stephan Seitz writes:

> Maintainers are encouraged to install everything in /usr because it must
> be available in early boot.

Call me dumb but I totally, completely and utterly fail to understand
why "Maintainers are *encouraged* to install everything in /usr".

# Emphasis added.

I just don't get what benefits

  for d in bin sbin lib; do
    mv /$d /usr/$d
    rmdir /$d
    ln -s /usr/$d /$d    # to avoid major mayhem
  done

will bring *me*. For maintainers, the only benefit I can think of is
removal of the need to think where something should go (and addressing
any fall-out of that should dependencies not be on the same partition).

For the record, /usr (whether on a *separate* partition or not) just
happens to be available in "early boot" because keeping it out was
deemed undoable, i.e. "requires more effort than the Debian maintainers
are willing to spend".

# I don't blame them for that, it's just that even though it might make
# economic sense, it is not a technologically or organizationally sound
# justification. I've been trying to point out that putting the system
# critical and non-critical stuff in different "drawers" makes sense in
# terms of organization. So has Didier.
# Insisting on putting these "drawers" in different "chests" (often for
# rather good reasons as Rick has tried to show) is actually why things
# get complicated.

> That’s why the usrmerge is only the logical next step. If you can’t live
> without /usr, you can put everything in it. Why should you waste your
> precious resources? There are enough other problems.

Fact: You can't live without /.
Hence, you can put everything in it.
Let's move /usr/{bin,sbin,lib} to /{bin,sbin,lib}, yeah!
Q: Why would you waste your precious resources moving stuff around?