:: [DNG] Separate /usr without initram…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Separate /usr without initramfs: /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:52:54 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> Roger has also explained that the rants about "not being able to boot
> with a separate /usr and without initramfs" are totally pointeless,
> since this has been the case in Debian and all the derivatives at
> least since Wheezy was testing (i.e., about 7 years ago). If you
> haven't noticed in the last seven years, I doubt it would make any
> difference to you at all at this point.

For much more than 7 years I failed to notice that the US President
could pardon a witness otherwise compelled to testify against himself
via a plea bargain on other charges. But now that I notice it, it sure
nuff makes a ton of difference to me.

Those of us with working systems haven't typically in the past gone
down every last side road to determine whether somebody had foreclosed
our ability to do something. That doesn't mean such abilities don't
make a difference, at a later date when the situation has changed.

On a different note, I think we're all on the same page, but if anybody
says it's possible to boot, with a separate /usr, with /sbin merged
into /usr/bin, and without an initramfs, then show me how.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2018 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr