:: Re: [DNG] no-usr-merged: let's get …
Author: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] no-usr-merged: let's get concrete
On 11/19/18 3:17 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> in the last few days we have seen many people going at lengths with
> the pros and cons of a non-merged usr. That has been a great
> discussion. We have put together a solution that consists into
> choosing if you want merged-usr at install time. It's available in the
> current unstable installer:
>
>    https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/dists/unstable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

> It would be great for the vocal support against usr-merge to become a
> concrete piece of help to maintaining choice in Devuan. So if you
> care, please install beowulf/ceres using the mini.iso above and help
> testing all the possible scenarios of non-merged /usr, to discover any
> potential issue/breakage there.
>
> Note: the mini.iso is a barebone netinst, and tasksel does not
> currently work (I am on that). The "Package selection" step will
> fail. Just skip it, continue with the installation, and then install
> stuff with apt-get after reboot.
>
> Please report bugs on https://bugs.devuan.org. We are currently
> upgrading many packages in unstable, including reportbug, so either
> use the reportbug version from ascii or just use reportbug to prepare
> the report and then send the email it creates to
> submit[at]bugs.devuan.org
>
> Your help is very welcome.
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

I'm just a user and not sure about the discussion. But if this has
something to do with permissions, well I'm used to su to root and do
what ever I want to do. Things have changed, now I need to sudo to run
'upgrade-system', it does a dist-upgrade and runs deborphan with the one
command. But I can still su and run aptitude. On this system fully
upgraded and cleaned today.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Ceres - Trinity R14.0.6 - Intel T5250 - GM965/GL960 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263