:: Re: [DNG] no-usr-merged: let's get …
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] no-usr-merged: let's get concrete
On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 04:02:09PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 12:17:45PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > in the last few days we have seen many people going at lengths with
> > the pros and cons of a non-merged usr. That has been a great
> > discussion. We have put together a solution that consists into
> > choosing if you want merged-usr at install time. It's available in the
> > current unstable installer:
> >
> > https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/dists/unstable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
>
> I don't think there's a point in an installer question -- it's trivial to
> add the merge later with a single apt command. An installer question is
> pretty costly -- it is seen and has to be answered by everyone who installs
> at the given debconf level. Thus, such knobs should be reserved for things
> that 1. make sense to be asked to most people, or 2. would be hard to
> recover from if not given at install time (like _undoing_ usrmerge).

We are not saying we will ask the question to all the users. The
"knob" will be probably available only in expert install, once we are
sure that there are no major issues there, and the default will most
probably be non-merged-usr. For testing purposes it makes sense to
keep the question there, anyway.

Any help with testing stuff that might break in a non-merged /usr
environment would be helpful.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

P.S.: I am not so sure about the "unmerge" being so difficult, to be
honest, but I might be wrong...