:: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop o…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop of Ubuntu = how?
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 13:07:19 +0200, Miroslav wrote in message
<0a50e90e-0f7c-77c1-63f8-ce05b748fe8e@???>:

> On 10/17/2018 03:18 PM, terryc wrote:
>
> >> Machines can
> >> ping each other now, so besides introducing Devuan, I also want to
> >> introduce Ubuntu via Devuan by some kind of remote GUI access or
> >> like. Suggestions? Please note that there is no Internet access to
> >> those boxes, so anything needed for each comp must be downloaded
> >> elsewhere and brought on USB or CD.
> > Burn the basic DVD and do the installation from it and if you have
> > it on hand, you can show how easily the computer can acquire other
> > applications by;
> > 0) open a terminal
> > b) aptitude search some application (or hint utility).
> > c)sudo aptitude install chosen-utility.
> > d) utility.
> >

> It's a seniors club, 70-75 at average. Some of them are more-less
> fluent in (pirated) Window$ -based mouse clicking to browse the Net,
> email, and office. So my point is to show them that there are free &
> unrestricted alternatives.

..http://www.pclinuxos.com/ has a reputation for being the easiest
distro for your kinda newbie users. But it is not Devuan. ;o)

..https://www.qubes-os.org/ is also not Devuan, but an excellent way
to set up Devuan safely and securely in, er, these times.

..http://www.pclinuxos.com/ style gui is probably a good way to start
set up Devuan for your clientele.
And probably a lot more work on your ass to get done.
And I'd argue it's worth doing.

> As I said I have two machines there, one
> is wired to a big TV so they who sit in a last row can listen &
> watch. That one machine is Devuan Jessie 64-bit for now, I installed
> it just for test as I never used Devuan distro before. However, I am
> more experienced in Ubuntu, so I want to show them its desktop too.
> But the idea is not to disconnect/reconnect each machine from the TV
> to switch different distro, instead I want to run Devuan as a 'proxy'
> for Ubuntu to appear on TV as a second option. Both machines are
> pretty old. Devuan box is somewhat faster but also old so that's why
> it is wired to the TV as the primary sample for Linux introduction.
> At this stage I do not want the elders to play with keyboards just
> like that, but to relax sitting in the room and watch the
> presentations. Installing software in terminal or like is not an
> option for the audience, it would be too much for them to understand,
> they are not Linux geeks. As well it is playing VM, at least until
> they learn the basics. Btw, those comps are dual-boot with Window$
> because they are also used for other things besides Linux promotion.
> There is no Internet in the club so I need exactly what software
> packages need to be downloaded elsewhere and brought to the site. For
> Ubuntu there is Remina or like (if I recall the proper name) but duno
> what needs for Devuan.
>
> Misko

.._play_around_until_ you have a setup you're confident enough to
tease your users into using. Your users has lived thru pretty bad
times and _understand_ their need for _RL_ privacy, and will easily
accept they need online privacy too, a fact you will find is handy
when you are ready to scare them off their pirated Wintendos. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: