:: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop o…
Author: Miroslav Skoric
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop of Ubuntu = how?
On 10/17/2018 03:18 PM, terryc wrote:

>> Machines can
>> ping each other now, so besides introducing Devuan, I also want to
>> introduce Ubuntu via Devuan by some kind of remote GUI access or
>> like. Suggestions? Please note that there is no Internet access to
>> those boxes, so anything needed for each comp must be downloaded
>> elsewhere and brought on USB or CD.
> Burn the basic DVD and do the installation from it and if you have
> it on hand, you can show how easily the computer can acquire other
> applications by;
> 0) open a terminal
> b) aptitude search some application (or hint utility).
> c)sudo aptitude install chosen-utility.
> d) utility.

It's a seniors club, 70-75 at average. Some of them are more-less fluent
in (pirated) Window$ -based mouse clicking to browse the Net, email, and
office. So my point is to show them that there are free & unrestricted
alternatives. As I said I have two machines there, one is wired to a big
TV so they who sit in a last row can listen & watch. That one machine is
Devuan Jessie 64-bit for now, I installed it just for test as I never
used Devuan distro before. However, I am more experienced in Ubuntu, so
I want to show them its desktop too. But the idea is not to
disconnect/reconnect each machine from the TV to switch different
distro, instead I want to run Devuan as a 'proxy' for Ubuntu to appear
on TV as a second option. Both machines are pretty old. Devuan box is
somewhat faster but also old so that's why it is wired to the TV as the
primary sample for Linux introduction. At this stage I do not want the
elders to play with keyboards just like that, but to relax sitting in
the room and watch the presentations. Installing software in terminal or
like is not an option for the audience, it would be too much for them to
understand, they are not Linux geeks. As well it is playing VM, at least
until they learn the basics. Btw, those comps are dual-boot with Window$
because they are also used for other things besides Linux promotion.
There is no Internet in the club so I need exactly what software
packages need to be downloaded elsewhere and brought to the site. For
Ubuntu there is Remina or like (if I recall the proper name) but duno
what needs for Devuan.

Misko