:: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop o…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop of Ubuntu = how?
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 01:07:19PM +0200, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 10/17/2018 03:18 PM, terryc wrote:
>
> > > Machines can
> > > ping each other now, so besides introducing Devuan, I also want to
> > > introduce Ubuntu via Devuan by some kind of remote GUI access or
> > > like. Suggestions? Please note that there is no Internet access to
> > > those boxes, so anything needed for each comp must be downloaded
> > > elsewhere and brought on USB or CD.

Of course you could just use a live CD and boot from that and skip the
installation step. Unless the speed disadvantage is a problem.

> > Burn the basic DVD and do the installation from it and if you have
> > it on hand, you can show how easily the computer can acquire other
> > applications by;
> > 0) open a terminal
> > b) aptitude search some application (or hint utility).
> > c)sudo aptitude install chosen-utility.

Won't be able to do this without an internet connection. Unless your
/etc/apt/sources.list includes a suitable devuan repository mounted locally.

> > d) utility.
>
> It's a seniors club, 70-75 at average. Some of them are more-less fluent in
> (pirated) Window$ -based mouse clicking to browse the Net, email, and
> office. So my point is to show them that there are free & unrestricted
> alternatives. As I said I have two machines there, one is wired to a big TV
> so they who sit in a last row can listen & watch.

What is the other one wired to? A local small display?

> That one machine is Devuan
> Jessie 64-bit for now, I installed it just for test as I never used Devuan
> distro before. However, I am more experienced in Ubuntu, so I want to show
> them its desktop too.

You should try your Ubuntu desktop on your Devuan Jessie. Chances are it's
available on Jessie as well as on Ubuntu and then you won't have to carry two
OS's around. Simplify your life!

Just another apt-get install into Jessie.

You'll just have to log out, choose a different window manager or desktop and
log in again.

Show off nother of Linux's capabilities!

Except:
* Some window managers even allow you to switch to another window manager
without logging out.
* There might be some problems with gnome because it is somewhat wedded to
systemd.

> But the idea is not to disconnect/reconnect each
> machine from the TV to switch different distro, instead I want to run Devuan
> as a 'proxy' for Ubuntu to appear on TV as a second option.

No need for a second machine! No need for them to communicate over a cable!
You can have some of the seniors tinkering on one machine while you tinker on
the other!