:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Stop the madness!

+1, many times over !

> And, of course, pushbuttons and dials by their very nature are limiting

Yes, yes.

> Some Devuaners will say "but wait, bad as that is, it's still better
> than modern init scripts."

It is true that **SOME** init scripts have become rather bloated. But most are quite simple - and I really don't see the problem with them. When a major complaint is seeing the "complexity" of a case statement to decide what to do for each possible operation (meaning you can have as many arbitrary ones, not just stop, start, status), you have to wonder at the skills of those doing the complaining !

I really can't see why code that's there to be seen (and edited if needed) is somehow inferior to hiding the same code (and more) in some binary blob controlled by a load of buttons and dials - and all to achieve something less capable.