:: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
Author: kiilo
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] IP / IoT House
Hi StephEn,

sorry, for misspelling your first name ... the 'a' was closer then the 'e',

Im deeply interessted what is in your mind by this project. The question
for all IoT technology in my opinion is, what is the motif and intent to
build such a house? where does it publish to, and who is consuming this
data, why? How is a creative or cultural value generated?

What you outline for your proposed house is a autonomous house only
connected by communication links, if I interpret it right? I think this
is quite an interesting figure for reflection. Why is an "stand alone
house" also a "data autonomous" house? There have always been some
"stand alone" houses in the north of Canada with quite a small
environmental footprint usually, but also they are not known as the
places for being communication centres (for good reason).

Why having booth retreat and communication? What is produced in such a
environment besides "data"? And how is this related globaly, localy?

when I read your linked article on ReadWriteWeb. Is it something you
have in mind a family "sourounded by machines of loving grace"[1]? With
a zoo of industry made products to give us the illusion of control? I
think the collaborative success of open source (open hardware) is based
on the experience that the tools produced make sense for the people
involved. People like to share that experience and its good to document
this practice.

The internet carry’s still its ballast of military purposes deeply
sedimented in its protocols and services. And i think its necessary
being critically aware of this circumstance. (see:[2]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v5-RGkEQEE or
http://www.slideshare.net/kiilo/you-in-the-center-of-the-world) The bow
of comand and control, surveillance and "projection into the future"[2]
has to be reversed in some sense, were the "receivers" changing the
"senders".

Working "hands on" in the field of social media / physical computing
there is a lot already existing (thingspeak, pachube, etc) also building
a low energy / sustainable house has been already done several times. In
the moment the network protocols were in a major overhaul towards
realtime data services, but how does this mix up, including the sketched
critique above?

wish you well
kiilo

[1] a workshop topic i am currently preparing